Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Genius of Bowling and Peppermints

Hello there, just checking in to see how things are going.

Following up on a earlier post, I finally asked one of my co-workers why he congratulated me for leaving. He told me that usually when someone elects to leave on their own (as opposed to be fired) it's usually for a better opportunity. So he was congratulating me for earning the greater opportunity. OK, that's makes some sense.

I participated in our company bowling tournament tonight and the wrist of my throwing hand is almost rigid. It was my first trip inside a bowling alley in over 20 years, and I actually managed to break 100. It was a last minute decision to attend, since this is my last week at work. But I figured what the heck and went. Considering both of parents were hardcore bowlers when I was growing up I've always wondered why I always sucked at it. I also wonder how in the world a sport like bowling ever got invented. In mean, who could have thought of doing it in the first place?

I recently downloaded "Incense and Peppermints" by Strawberry Alarm Clock and I've been playing it almost non-stop ever since. I've heard the melody many times before but it's the lyrics that have me captured under its spell. Check this out:

Good sense, innocence, cripplin' mankind
Dead kings, many things, I can't define
Occasions, persuasions, clutter your mind
Incense and peppermints, the color of time.

Who cares what games we choose?
Little to win, but nothing to lose.

Incense and peppermints
Meaningless nouns

Turn on, tune in, turn your eyes around.
Look at yourself, look at yourself, yeah, yeah
Look at yourself, look at yourself, yeah, yeah, yeah!

To divide this cockeyed world in two
Throw your pride to one side, it's the least you can do.
Beatniks and politics, nothing is new
A yardstick for lunatics, one point of view

Who care what games we choose?
Little to win, but nothin' to lose.

Good sense, innocence, cripplin' mankind
Dead kings, many things, I can't define.
Occasion, persuasions clutter your mind
Incense and peppermints, the color of time.

Who care what games we choose?

Little to win, but nothin' to lose.

Incense and peppermints
Incense and peppermints

Sha la la
Sha la la
Sha la la
Sha la la
Sha la la

I especially like the line "A yardstick for lunatics, one point of view." I'm sure there is a message there but damned if I know what it is. This is pure genius my friends. One wonders why these guys never had another hit song.

Or maybe it's just the organ and cowbell. I gotta have more cowbell!

No comments: