Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Congratulations?

One of the reasons why I took down the old blog was because my bosses at work discovered that I had one. One of the reasons why I have this new blog is because I just gave those same bosses my letter of resignation.

But not because of the blog.

I point this out because I find it interesting that my friends, colleagues, and even some of my co-workers have been congratulating me for changing jobs. Mind you, I'm not getting a promotion and my compensation at my new place of employment is about the same as what I'm getting now. Essentially all I am doing is changing jerseys from one team to another, and yet there are a lot of people who seem to be happy about it, many more than I would have expected. I don't remember getting this many pats on the back when I changed jobs before.

I'm thinking maybe some of it is because some of my colleagues regard the company that I am moving to to be more prestigious than the one that I am at now. I don't know if I share in this opinion but the firm that I am going to is one of the best in my profession. That's why I'm going there. Perhaps some of them are also assuming that I'm getting a promotion out of this deal. Perhaps one day soon I will, and indeed one of the reasons why I moving is because of the greater chances of getting promoted. Perhaps it's because that's all they can think of saying to me when they hear the news. When my resignation was announced to the staff I felt like I had just told people that I had a terminal disease. I noticed a lot of people tip-toeing around me or being hesitant in saying anything to me. So perhaps it's like asking "how ya doing?" to total strangers, just something to fill the air and relieve the stress that comes with the silence.

Or maybe I'm just imagining things.

No comments: